I am a snacker, especially days I am home with the kids. I find myself snacking throughout the day instead of sitting down and eating meals. Let’s be real most days I don’t sit down at all, because I am chasing 4 kids. It’s not a great habit, but I try to keep my snacking healthy, satisfying and light. Here are some of my fav go to snacks that I always have in my frig and pantry.
- Hummus and Veggies
- Salsa with sliced Pepper Sticks
- Deviled Egg, I love them. Olivia will make a dozen over the weekend and we eat them throughout the week. Plus the kids like them, so I can pack them in their lunches too.
- Apple slices with Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- Kale Chips, I make my own and keep them simple. I roast kale in the oven with a drizzle of oil oil and top with salt and pepper. If you want to get more creative with flavors here are 15 different ways to make Kale Chips: https://www.simplystacie.net/2015/01/15-ways-make-kale-chips/#_a5y_p=5331388
- Avocado slices with salt and Pepper
- I love cheese. It’s not the healthiest option and my belly doesn’t love it, but cheese cubes with grapes and pretzels is one of my favorite afternoon snacks.
- Guacamole and I try to eliminate the tortilla chips, so I dip with pepper sticks. I even make nachos out of pepper sticks when I am craving them. I will stack black beans, cheese, sour cream, jalapeños, guacamole, salsa on top of pepper slices!
- I love all veggies, so I keep cauliflower, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and carrots in my refrigerator at all times. The crunch is satisfying and veggies keep me full!
- Fruit is great too. I am a bigger fan of Summer fruit, so this time of year I eat more bananas, grapes, and apples but in the Summer I am a melon, mango and strawberry fan.
- Popcorn is my weakness. My family loves popcorn, so it’s always something we have in the pantry. Here’s my favorite brand of popcorn (I crave the honey butter flavor) you can find it at most grocery stores in the health market section: https://www.ghcretors.com
- Hard Boiled Eggs I will make a dozen on Sunday and eat for snacks and pack in the kids lunches.
- I am a smoothie fan but smoothies can be loaded with sugar, so it’s important to balance fruit with veggies when making smoothies at home. Here’s the recipe for Taste Like Ice Cream Kale smoothie which is the smoothie that’s responsible for my love affair with smoothies. https://www.theblendergirl.com/recipe/tastes-like-ice-cream-kale-smoothie/
- I love muffins too. I can take any muffin recipe and substitute the butter or oil for apple sauce or greek yogurt and make them much healthier. Banana muffins, Bran Muffins, Blue Berry Muffins. I use whole wheat flour in place of white flour too. It’s amazing how much healthier simple hacks can make our food!! This is one of my favorite healthy muffin recipes: https://mealhack.com/banana-applesauce-muffins
- Protein Balls-These are healthy, delicious, and my family’s favorite. They are great for breakfast, lunches and to bring on the go!
Megan’s Protein Ball Recipe
1 cup Quick Oats
1/2 cup all natural Peanut Butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup mini m&m’s or mini chocolate chips
1Tablespoon vanilla, chocolate, or peanut butter protein powder
I double this recipe because my family loves this healthy snack!
Mix all Ingredients together. I use my hands and, yes it’s a sticky gooey mess but so worth it!
Roll into quarter size balls put on parchment paper for an hour
Much Love & Gratitude,