My Morning Mom Strike
Besides having an awesome morning ritual you know what else will make for a happier and less stressful morning for you? Make your kids responsible for getting themselves up, dressed, fed, ready for school, and out the door. For some moms this seems like an unrealistic task and In my old life it was. My mornings were chaos, rushed, and typically ended with a couple tantrums and some tears from me and my kids. I did everything for my kids. woke them up, picked out their clothes, got them dressed, made breakfast, packed lunches and backpacks, and got them out the door. I was running around each morning in a hurry, frustrated, and dealing with grumpy kids who were throwing fits about what I picked out for them to wear or made for breakfast.
When I was pregnant with my 4th kid I called it quits no more waking them up, getting them ready, feeding them, packing lunches and backpacks. I was on strike. My kids did not appreciate all I was doing, I was stressed, and I realized I was not helping them develop important life skills by doing everything for them in the mornings.
Here’s what I did/do to implement a better plan:
- Purchased these super kid friendly alarm clocks and taught the kids how to use them.
- Make the kids pack their own lunches and snacks the night before. YumBoxes help simplify and kid friendly knives are a must so they don’t cut off a finger cutting fruit. I love the Junior Master Chef collection.
- Discuss, the night before, what they were going to eat for breakfast so it was not an undecided topic in the morning. Have simple, kid friendly meals available so they can make it themselves.
- Make each kid pack their own backpacks the night before.
- Give them the freedom to pick out their clothes (This was a HARD one for me).
My 11, 8, 5 year old completely get themselves up, ready, fed, and out the door without help from me! Yes, this is possible! I first went on morning mom strike because I was feeling unappreciated and stressed but what I have learned from the past 2 years is I have given my kids the tools to take responsibility for themselves, their choice of breakfast, lunch, and outfits. I forced them to become self sufficient and motivated and those are life skills they will have forever because of my mom morning strike! It’s your time to makeover your morning chaos and start giving your kids the tools to take care of themselves in the morning and you can sit back and watch them flourish and become more responsible kids!
Much Love & Gratitude,